2021 FINAL ROUND UP, MONEY RAISED & HIGH FIVES
What a year, but next year is going to be even bigger!!
(Entry link to 2022 event below!)
This year was momentous for us as organisers, not just for the obvious reason that we had to miss last year because of the C-bomb, but because the spirit and overall glow of human spirit was just incredible, a truly humbling experience and one we’ll never forget. It was always going to be special with us all re-uniting after such a strange and tough time, but the feeling of friendship, community, openness, kindness and positivity in the air was truly inspiring.
Apologies that this round up piece is a little later than usual, real life kicked back in with a bump so it’s taken longer than usual to round up all the pennies and say our heartfelt thank yous.
There were so many highlights this year but here’s a couple that we feel deserve a special mention. So sorry if we have missed anyone but these are some big high fives from the withered memory banks, apologies for the roll call as well!
* Jeremy Sladen and the whole TSA Team for their epic gin bar that raised a stack of pennies and kept everyone buzzing all night.
* All the Vans Team for a huge turn out, especially Nick Street and Co in California but also the Belgium guys who travelled all the way over nailing 100 miles like it was a cruise round the block. Top effort and legends for their continued unconditional support!
* Nicola Dunning and the entire Test Valley flapjack team, they made over 1000 flapjacks again this year. Amazing! Plus the entire feedstation guys who really make the event what it is, bringing smiles and kindness all day.
* Rod & Bill on the farm who put in a huge shift the week before getting the site ready, and stopping me and Chris doing a bodge job!
* The Bowtell Catering team for their huge shift behind their cookers, they are always first on site at 5:45am and always the last to leave.
* Ricky Hill the ultimate motorbike support rider, every year he’s like the events white knight, with a bag of inner tubes and a smile wider than the Grand Canyon. We salute you Ricky, especially after a tough year or so for you.
* Craig at Mizu for helping us make the super cool metal beaker we had this year, Craig is a long time supporter of the event so a real pleasure to have him and Mizu involved.
* Ollie East for talking his wine company Farr Vintners into sponsoring the event, and the huge magnums of wine they give away each year!
* Pete King Ramps and the guys who ran the pump track for the whole weekend, much fun and whoops were had – mainly from rad dads and Jenny Jones!
SOME TOP FUNDRAISERS
* 10 year old Bugsy who cycled an incredible 500km for CALM in September, and still rode the 50 mile ride on the day. He raised a whopping £1200, what a total legend, we salute you bugsy!
* Special mentions go to Chris McConville, All Lund, Ruth Concannon, Eddie Bartlett and JB Noon who all raised loads of pennies for CALM, helping keep phone lines open and supporting people who need it most.
* Artist and great friend of Nelson, Schoph, donated an original print from Travis Rice’s Natural Selection, bought by another artist Sketch helping raise £650.
* To anyone and everyone who threw their leg over a bike, turned up with a smile and spread the love.
Also a huge high five goes to all the little legs and parents who took on our brand new ‘VANS Family Ride’ Our youngest rider was 3 years old who whizzed round the 7 miles, really amazing to see. We have wanted to add this for last few years so it was extra special to see all the grinning faces (thankfully Mums & Dads too) come back over the line! We will definitely be putting this ride on again next year. Thanks so much for giving it a go!
Sorry to use the word momentous again – but next year is our 10 year anniversary, a pretty huge moment for us. This event was started to honour the life of a very special and loved human being, Nelson Pratt. We wanted to create a positive legacy to honour his life, and raise crucial awareness for suicide prevention and mental health. Every rider, volunteer, supporter, friend, child, parent and even the odd dog has helped make this a reality, and to date we have raised well over half a million pounds for CALM. More important than the money in our eyes has been the part the event has played in changing the culture and way we talk about, accept and promote mental health – you should feel very proud to be part of this change.
SO… with much drum roll and high fives here is the live entry link to the Big 10, please enter now as places will go fast and as always we have to limit entries to 800 spots. There will be loads of extra fun things happening so please keep your eyes peeled on our socials, best one is our IG here
We cannot wait to see you again in September, get ready for the best day on your bike ever and see you at the bar!!
Thanks so much again for everything you’ve done and continue to do, both with your legs and hearts!
Marcus, the Pratt Family and all the team!
The biggest thanks to our event partners who we’d be lost without:
VANS, Farr Vintners wine merchants, The Snowboard Asylum, Mizu, Halo Sports (the amazing guys that make the jerseys), Andy Cook Cycling, Medi-Bike, Henry from Results Base Timing, Bowtells Catering, Thyme & Tides for the lovely coffee.